Sunday, February 18, 2007

It must be the butter

During my honeymoon last October, I announced to my new husband that I was going on a diet when we got home. I think I was the only bride in history that had to have her dress LET OUT before the wedding. My new husband is the best man in the world; he loves me for me and not my outside. That one thing alone was my impetus to lose weight (and the fact that I was really tired of being a beached whale).

The thing that led me to letting out my dress and being a shamu was one of the passions we shared, we LOVE to cook. I had not only found my soul mate in this man, but I found a partner in crime to the BEST cooking in the world.

He decided that he too would work on losing weight with me. We both had about 80lbs to lose, and since we are middle aged, we knew it would be a change of life, not just a diet. He and I started cooking gourmet healthy, and it has been paying off. Since November I have lost about 22 and he has lost 35 (I hate men).

This Valentines day we made some mussels as an appetizer and then simmered lobster tails in the olive oil/garlic/spices sauce we cooked the mussels in. Then we broiled the lobster in lemon to finish it off. I made a brown rice dish with veggies for the side dish. He LOVED it, I was just okay with it. He loved it so much that he bought some more lobster for our Friday night dinner, and we did the same thing, only this time had clams instead of mussels for an appetizer. Again, he loved it, but I was just okay. As a matter of fact, I only had half of my lobster and saved the rest for lunch the next day.

I was depressed. I really was. I have been having the BEST meals now for almost 6 months and losing weight. I had just had what had been my favorite crustacean. TWICE in one week and I was just so-so. It was then that I realized what was wrong. In the past, the lobster had merely been a delivery mechanism for BUTTER. Yes, BUTTER. I LOVE BUTTER. I MISS BUTTER. But, butter the way I was eating it was BAD, very bad. Up until these meals, I really had not thought about, or missed butter. But I now it was the missing link. So either I will only eat lobster in the future with butter or I will skip it all together.

However, I may give it one more try because hubby has described to me the way he intends to cook it the next time. He will simmer, then slice, roll in parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs with a LITTLE butter and bake. Now that sounds promising. I think I will wait until I try this to swear off lobster forever........

Whine.

2 comments:

jmb said...

I'm sure you weren't the only bride to let out her wedding dress! However I'm glad to hear you are successful with the weight loss. I lost 45 lbs with South Beach 2 yrs ago and have put back 10 so be careful. It is for life this new "diet" and don't let things slip. I'm being strict again.
As for butter,I just can't buy it, unless we have guests. Lobster as a vehicle for butter? How about baked potato merely as a vehicle for sour cream? Not that I've had potatoes for a long time.
Be strong, both of you
Regards
jmb (The Zero Slasher)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

OMG, I think I just had an orgasm with your lobster / butter / parm description!

And how lucky for you to lose weight eating the things you love. If I could have anything in the world, it would be a personal chef!

Oh, and laser hair removal for 'down there'... my S-I-L swears by it!

Thanks for the contest entry at Manics'!