Friday, February 16, 2007

Just Breathe


I am hyperventilating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why you ask? BECAUSE I JUST FOUND OUT I WILL HAVE TO SPEAK TO A VERY LARGE GROUP OF PEOPLE. There, I feel better now.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to speak, do it all the time. I have been told I am a great presenter, but that doesn't negate the fact that I have HORRIBLE stage fright. My fright is so bad, I have almost PASSED out on a number of occasions. One time I was just standing in front of my peers (only about 10 of them) presenting my ideas, and I had a panic attack, and the room started to white out and there was a horrible ringing in my ears. I pretended to have a cough, so that I could get my act together.

Over the years I have been "lecturing" and presenting to sizable groups, but they have ALWAYS been my peers. As my career has progressed, I have had the luxury of creating the presentations for our executives (let them deal with the stage fright). Now its my turn to stand up in front of customers and prospects and deliver a presentation I have not yet created.

I have been given the topic and now I must produce something that will hold the attention of this group of tech weenie executives. I don't consider myself an expert in my field, but for some reason my management does. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must find a brown paper bag to breathe into........see ya.

3 comments:

Medblog Addict said...

Don't tell anyone, but I've been known to throw up in the parking lot before going into the Courthouse.

Whine Lover said...

Your secret is safe with me :-)

jmb said...

Of course you're an expert! I 've always said, pretend you know what you're doing and pretty soon you will.
What do "they" say? You won't be intimidated if you picture your audience naked. That always struck me as likely to cause paralysis by horror instead of paralysis by fear!
Good luck
jmb (the Zero Slasher)